I made these cookies earlier for my friendmas party and my friends loved them. I used a recipe for the chocolate-chocolate chunk cookies, but instead of chocolate chunks, I thought it would be more festive to throw in crushed candy cane chunks! They weren’t that noticeable once the cookies were baked, but they really tasted delicious and my friends loved them!
So let’s get started!
Ingredients:-11 ounces semisweet chocolate -3 tbsp unsalted butter -1 tsp espresso powder -1/2 cup packed brown sugar -2 eggs -1 tsp vanilla extract -1/3 cup AP flour -1/4 tsp baking powder -a pinch of salt (since I used salted butter, I omitted the salt) -5-7 crushed candy canes
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Crush the candy canes into small pieces and set aside. To do this, I find it easiest to simply place them in a bag (after unwrapping them) and then crushing them with a rolling pin or the bottom of a pot.
- Coarsely chop 8 ounces of the chocolate and place in a heatproof bowl with the butter and the espresso powder. Place bowl on top of a saucepan of about 1 cup of simmering water (in other words, a double boiler) and whisk until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla with an electric mixer until well blended. Add in the chocolate mixture and beat until smooth. Then add in the flour, baking powder and salt and whisk until well blended. Fold in crushed candy canes.
- Drop the batter onto the baking sheets leaving at least an inch apart. They do spread, but only a little bit.
- Bake for about 10 to 12 minutes or until the tops are lightly cracked.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 10 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy them with a cup of coffee or store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days.
My friends and I ate these while watching Frozen. It was the perfect snack and paired with a glass of milk? It’s just absolutely delicious!
Hugs and puppies!
P.S Patrick flies into Tokyo tomorrow, so apologies if I don’t update a lot in the next 2 weeks :p