Chocolate Espresso Banana Muffins
What does one do with over ripe bananas? Simple, make banana muffins or in this case, chocolate Espresso Banana Muffins.
It’s been a long time hasn’t it? I’m so sorry, I’ve been a bit busy and I keep forgetting to get the photos taken. So my room mate had some over ripe bananas and I decided to make them into muffins. Normally I would attempt a banana bread, but seeing as I have yet to purchase a loaf pan, I decided to just make muffins. I found a few banana muffin recipes online (from foodgawker.com) and sort of combined them to create these. The first recipe is here. The rest I sort of perused.
These muffins were so delicious and really moist. I think the espresso and the chocolate were a nice touch.
Ingredients:-1 2/3 cup AP flour
-3 ripe bananas
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1 1/4 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter*
-1 tsp instant espresso
-1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
-1 tbsp vanilla
-a pinch of salt
-1 tsp flaxseed (optional)
*If you’re a vegan, simply replace butter with earthbalance and you’re good to go!
- Preheat the oven 350 F and either line muffin tins with paper liners or spray them with nonstick spray (such as Pam). In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder, flaxseed, and salt.
- In large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla. Peel and mash the bananas and add to the bowl.
- Add in the flour mixture in batches. Once combined, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spoon the batter into the paper liners or the muffin tins until they are about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the tops are golden and spring back when pressed lightly.
- Allow them to cool (or just top with a pat of butter and eat it hot out of the oven)
These muffins are great with a cup of coffee. Plus you can kind of say that they’re healthy because of the flaxseed (but I’m sure the chocolate and the espresso kind of counter that). Still, they taste amazing and are great for breakfast or for dessert.
Hugs and Puppies!