The Pasta Series Part 4: Bacon and Asparagus Penne
The theme of the day was bacon (and let’s face it, it isn’t a bad theme at all). I had spent the day baking up a storm for my final Intro to Foods and Food Science class and yet for some crazy reason, I still wanted to cook. Yes I think I am crazy/insane/weird, but it’s okay because now at least I know what my passion is🙂 Anyway for dinner, I decided to make some bacon and asparagus penne because bacon and asparagus go really well together (at least they do in my mind). To go along with that, I also decided to pull out my little file of bread recipes and make the spicy sun dried tomato and bacon bread. All of the bacon! Ahaha I told you this was a bacon themed day/meal. So first I made the spicy tomato and bacon bread because I had to wait for the bread to rise and whatnot, and then I began to make the penne. It was pretty good and I made enough to bring to work with me. The pasta recipe was just something I made up. The one thing I love about pasta is that it basically goes with everything and paired with the right seasoning, it can be amazing!
Anyway enough of me talking about nonsensical things. Off to the kitchen!
Bacon and Asparagus Penne:
Ingredients:-Bacon (4 or 5 slices)
-10 stalks of asparagus
-Garlic (one clove)
-Beef broth (about a cup)
-salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the bacon into smaller bite size pieces, dice the onion and the tomato. Slice the asparagus and mince the garlic. Prepare the asparagus, I suggest you steam them and then shock them (put them in ice cold water, that way they can retain the nice green color).
- Cook the bacon in a pan and remove onto a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Remove the bacon fat, reserving about 2 tablespoons of the drippings. Add the onion, oregano and garlic into the bacon drippings and cook until the onion is translucent. Add in the tomato and cook for an additional 2 minutes. Add in the beef broth and let it reduce. Add in the salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile, prepare the penne. Cook it until it is al dente.
- Add the penne to the sauce. Top with asparagus and bacon and mix it all together.
- Top with a little bit of parmesan and you’re ready to eat.
Spicy sun dried tomato and bacon bread:
Before I start, I just wanted to let you know that I have made this bread before and I do have a post for it. So here’s the link to that post🙂
Hugs and puppies!