So I was making Lemon Bars at Pat’s apartment during the weekend. Unfortunately, Trader Joe’s only had wheat flour so I substituted regular AP flour with wheat flour. It came out a little more nutty and they didn’t look anything like Lemon Bars (I think the color of the wheat flour made it darker and it looked less yellow). ANyway, because we bought the wheat flour, I now have a ton of wheat flour in my kitchen and I had absolutely no clue how to use it up. Until I stumbled across this little recipe, Cooking Melangery’s Whole Wheat Maple Graham cookies. Now I did tweak it a little (just added different spices) and I had tons of fun frosting them with Alton Brown’s Royal Icing recipe.
So let’s get started!
Ingredients (the italicized ones are the ones that I added/tweaked):
- 2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3 Tbsp. honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, melted (or you can use 1/2 cup coconut oil) [I used 1 cup of melted butter]
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Mix together the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Once they’re all blended, add in the wet ingredients and mix until everything comes together. You may have to add more melted butter or water if the dough doesn’t come together.
- Roll out the dough an a floured surface until it’s about 1/4 inch thick and cut them into your desired shape with cookie cutters. place on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the cookies are cool, you can frost them with the royal icing.
These were pretty fun to frost! Especially the broom cookies. I know I’ll be making frosted cookies again very soon and hopefully they’ll all be Halloween style! Oh and my interview at Sweet Revenge went pretty well 🙂 Hopefully they’ll have an opening for me in the summer and I can have an internship working under their head chef Risa!
Hugs and puppies!