So two sundays ago, my friends and I celebrated Thanksgiving a bit early. It was a potluck style Thanksgiving dinner, so every one was in charge of something. I decided to make pumpkin pie, an apple tart and some whipped cream to go with it. It was my first pie, so I was a little nervous. I got the pumpkin pie recipe from this iphone app called Food52. It’s called Meta Given’s Pumpkin Pie, but you know me, I had to add some other spices and such. I also made the pie crust from scratch using Sweet Pea’s recipe. I’m a huge fan of pumpkin pie even though I never really eat a lot of it. Being Japanese and living in Japan all my life, my family didn’t really celebrate Thanksgiving, which makes sense. I just know about it because I went to an American School and I currently attend NYU. Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys my pies and I really hope that my first ever pumpkin pie tastes delicious!
Now let’s get started!
Ingredients:Pie Crust: -1 1/4 cups unbleached AP flour -1 tbsp sugar -1/4 tbsp salt -8 tbsp (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4-inch cubes -3 tbsp very cold water Filling: -1 3/4 cups canned or fresh cooked pumpkin puree -3/4 cup sugar -1/2 tsp salt -1 tsp cinnamon -1/2 tsp ginger – 1/2 tsp allspice -1/2 tsp nutmeg -2 eggs -1 cup cream -1/2 cup milk
- Prepare the pie dough: mix the flour, sugar and salt. Add in the butter and cut them with a pastry cutter or a fork until the butter chunks are about the size of peas. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together. Roll out the dough until it’s slightly bigger than your pie pan and gently transfer it into the pan. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat the pumpkin in a saucepan for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add in the sugar, salt and spices and remove the pumpkin from the heat.
- Beat in the eggs, milk and cream. Beat until smooth
- Pour into the prepared pie crust (unbaked and unpricked) and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. It may take a little longer, in that case, bake until the crust is golden and only an inch circle in the center of the pie is liquid.
- Let it cool, top with fresh whipped cream and serve!
Hugs and Puppies!
P.s I’m sorry there aren’t photos, we ate them before we could take a photo😦