I was perusing through my FoodNetwork Magazine, the holiday edition with the cookies and stuff because I wanted to bake again and because I was up at 7 AM. Jetlag can be kind of nice. Unfortunately it’s hard to find molasses in Japan unless you go to a foreign foods store like Nishin or National Azabu, so instead of baking chewy ginger cookies that my sister wanted me to try and bake, I stuck to a simple recipe: the chocolate chip shortbread. As always, I did add a little twist of my own in the form of adding instant coffee powder to the chocolate drizzle. Hmm I think I definitely have an addiction to chocolate, seeing as almost everything I bake has chocolate or something. I promise that next time I bake something sweet, I’ll stay away from the chocolate and try something new 🙂
Well let’s get baking!
Ingredients:-2 sticks unsalted butter -1 tsp vanilla extract -3/4 cup powdered sugar -2 cups AP flour -1/4 tsp salt -1 cup semisweet chocolate chips -1 tsp instant coffee powder (optional) -A splash of heavy cream (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F and line a square cake pan with aluminum foil (this will make it easier to take the shortbread out of the pan).
- In an electric mixer, cream the butter, vanilla and salt until it is smooth. Reduce the speed of the electric mixer to low and add in the powdered sugar, beating until it’s just incorporated. Then add in the flour (in two batches) and beat until smooth. Fold in half the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
- Dust your hands with flour and scoop out the dough. Press into the prepared pan and score it with a knife. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the edges are firm and golden. Rescore the cookies and let cool for 20 minutes.
- Melt the remaining chocolate chips with the heavy cream and the instant coffee powder, creating a ganache like topping. Once the shortbread is cooled, place this mixture in a ziploc bag and drizzle it on top.
- Remove the shortbread from the pan and cut along the scored lines.
These are deliciously buttery and crisp! While my sister wasn’t a huge fan of the coffee infused chocolate, I thought that it gave a nice bitterness to counter the sweetness of the shortbread!
Hugs and puppies!