But I’ll shave it for later! So today marks the first day of NYU Welcome Week! It’s when all the incoming freshmen at NYU get a week full of events to get to know each other, attend fun events and basically get familiar with the campus. My room mate, Natasha, is a Welcome Week Captain. She has a group of Welcome Week Leaders (all NYU students) who basically run and plan and set up the events and make sure that the freshman don’t get lost or confused. While I wanted to be a Welcome Week Leader, I kind of lost my chance due to technical difficulties (ie my interview e-mail went to spam and so I never got to set it up. Whoops). So instead, I’ve decided to sent some welcome week leaders some sweet treats! Mustache cookies! Because the NYU Welcome Week theme this year is “I Mustache you a question!” Well I hope they enjoy the cookies, I made them in two parts and they were pretty fun to make! I also think they kind of look like two fish kissing. Eh?
Let’s get started!
Ingredients:Mustache Part: -1 stick unsalted butter -1/2 cup powdered sugar -1 cup AP Flour -3 tbsp cocoa powder -1 tsp instant espresso powder Background: -2 sticks unsalted butter -2 1/2 cups AP Flour -1 cup powdered sugar
- Make the mustache part first. Mix the softened butter with the powdered sugar until smooth. Add in the AP flour, cocoa powder and the espresso powder. Divide the dough into two equal sizes and roll them out into thin logs. Take the first log and make an indentation along the bottom half of the log, to create one half of the mustache. Repeat with the other log so that the mustache is complete. Put the two of them side by side, wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge.
- Make the plain portion of the dough. Mix the softened butter with the powered sugar. Add in the flour and mix until incorporated. Take out the mustache and carefully fill the plain dough around mustache until the mustache is entirely covered. YOu should be left with one huge square log.
- Rewrap the dough and refrigerate. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once the dough is chilled, take it out of the fridge and slice it about 1/2 an inch thick. Lay them out on a baking sheet with about 1/2 an inch to an inch between each cookie. They don’t spread out much so don’t worry about it too much.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Once the cookies are out of the oven, let them cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack (otherwise they will break in half. I say this from experience)
I thought that these were going to come out very badly because I wasn’t really able to mold the mustache shape as well as I wanted to. Not to mention the dough would crack or split while I was working with it. But I’m glad it turned out well and I really hope that the Welcome Week Team Tasha enjoy them!
Until next time, hugs and puppies!