I think everyone needs to have this in their repertoire. Anyone who loves chocolate and has a microwave. But most importantly, all college students. It’s fast, it’s easy and it doesn’t even require an oven. Like it says in the title, it takes only 5 minutes and it can be easily customizable to your own tastes. This recipe comes in really handy during midterms or finals week (during which I add instant espresso powder) or if you just need a break and a sugar-y, sweet pick-me-up. To make this vegan-friendly, simply replace the egg with half a mashed banana and the milk for soy or almond milk. If chocolate’s not your favorite flavor, than just take out the cocoa powder. So grab a mug or two, the ingredients and head on over to the microwave!
Ingredients:4 tbsp flour
3 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
3 tbsp oil
3 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
1. Mix together the dry ingredients in a small mixing bowl
2. Add in the wet ingredients, mix to combine. Make sure there are no lumps of flour.
3. If you’re using chocolate chips, fold them into the batter
4. Pour into a large mug or two medium sized mugs
5. Microwave on high for about 2 minutes. The center should still look a little wet, otherwise you’ll overcook it and it’ll be rubbery.
Additionally, you can pour some batter into the mug, add a dollop of Nutella and pour in the rest of the batter to make a lava cake-like mug cake and dust with powdered sugar or berries or marshmallows to give it a little extra oomph! I like to make some whipped cream (maybe spike it with some honey liquor or rum) and take the cake out of the mug and make a mini layer cake.
Hugs and puppies!