Valentine’s day is just around the corner and personally I don’t think of this day as one where I’m more affectionate toward my boyfriend. I think a lot of people have been looking at Valentine’s day all wrong (present company included). It’s marketed to us as a day to be with your girlfriend or boyfriend and give each other flowers or chocolates, but really I think that Valentine’s day is just a day where you should show the people around you that you love them that includes friends, family, pets, etc. Because love isn’t just limited to the romantic let’s go make babies kind of love, it can be utterly platonic. Of course, this is something that we should be doing everyday. At least in my opinion, but sometimes there are days when we’re too busy or tired or stressed, so I guess it’s nice to have a day to make up for all those other days. So instead of buying stuff for your loved ones, why not make something for them? I think that getting homemade treats from your loved ones are so much better than the store bought ones because with homemade, you can really see the effort they put into it. And let’s face it, I’m not making someone dinner or cookies or chocolate unless I love them.
So here’s one of my favorite go-to Valentine’s Day treats: Truffles!
And you only need a microwave!
-10 oz chocolate (dark or milk, which ever you like)
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-3 tbsp unsalted butter
-1 cup chopped nuts
- Pour the chocolate into a medium sized mixing bowl and set aside. In a heatpoof/microwaveable container, heat the heavy cream and butter for 1 minute and 30 seconds on high or until hot.
- Pour the heavy cream and butter mixture over the chocolate and let sit for a minute or two. Mix until the cream is incorporated and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped nuts, cocoa powder, chopped chocolate into small bowls.
- Once the chocolate is hard, but still malleable, roll them into little balls. This will get messy and there is no need to roll them into perfect balls. Truffles are named after actual truffles, so it’s better to have them look a little lopsided.
- Roll the chocolate balls into whatever topping you’d like (i.e cocoa powder, chopped nuts, etc.) and set on a baking sheet lined with wax paper and return to the fridge to firm up
Ta-da! And they’re done! Not to mention, much better than the store bought truffles!
Hugs and puppies!