I know I know, it’s been FOREVER since I posted, but now that I’ve got my oven working, I promise to start baking more regularly 🙂 The other day, I decided to break my baking fast with something fun and delicious. Since I had gotten three amazing cookbooks from my sister and two from a family friend, be ready for some of my own takes on those recipes! This time, I decided, since I love Ina Garten so much, that I would make her raspberry crumble bars! They’re from her Barefoot Contessa Foolproof cookbook! But of course I had to tweak it a little bit! The changes are in parentheses and are bolded. I took these crumble bars to work and everyone loved them, so thanks so much Ina!
Let’s get started shall we?
- Line a square 9 inch baking pan with parchment paper and set aside. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Beat the butter and sugar until just combined. If you have vanilla, add the vanilla.
- Sift the flour and salt (I never sift and they come out perfectly fine). Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix until it comes together. Press 2/3 of the dough into the bottom of the pan, making sure that it’s nice and even. Make sure that the dough also goes up 1/4 inch up the sides.
- Spread the chocolate almond butter, leaving a 1/4 inch border. Now spread the raspberry jam on top of the chocolate almond butter. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips. Of course if you don’t want chocolate, just spread your favorite jam across the top.
- Mix the granola (rolled oats) and chopped nuts with the remaining dough and break the dough into small crumbles with your hands. Sprinkle the crumbles on top of the jam, covering most of the surface.
- Bake the bars for 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
Ina has you sprinkle the tops with confectioner’s sugar once they’ve cooled down, but I thought that jam would be sweet enough, so I omitted that step as well! These were so delicious and I’m sure you can choose whatever jam you love. I’d love to try these with apricot jam or blackberry! Or maybe even fresh fruits? The possibilities are endless!
Let me know if you give this recipe a try!
See you soon! Hugs and puppies!