Kumamushi-san or tardigrade is a water bear. Okay, so she’s not really a bear, she’s a water-dwelling segmented microorganism with eight legs. She’s possibly the cutest thing in the entire world and she’s also the office mascot at the immigration law firm I intern at. So I decided to make kumamushi-san cookies and they came out pretty cute! I took a normal slice and bake cookie recipe, added cocoa powder, colored a small portion of the dough black and shaped them into kumamushi-san’s shape! Everyone at the office loved them, so I will for sure be making them more often!
Let’s get started!
Ingredients:-1/2 cup powdered sugar -1 stick softened butter (1/2 cup) -1 cup flour -1/4 cup cocoa powder -2 tsp instant espresso -1 drop black food coloring
- Cream together the butter and the sugar. Add in the cocoa powder and the flour and mix to combine.
- Roll into a oval log and let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes or so. In the meantime, preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Cut off the ends of the log and mix the dough with the espresso powder and the black food coloring.
- Slice the rest of the log in 1/4 inch thick slices. You may have to reshape the ovals.
- Using your fingers or a chopstick, shape kumamushi-san’s little legs. I found it easy to do by pinching the bottom into little leg shapes.
- Once the kumamushi san is shaped, place on the parchment lined baking sheet.
- Carefully pinch off a small portion of the black colored dough and roll it into a ball. Flatten it against the kumamushi-san shaped cookie to make the eye.
- Repeat until no more dough is left.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
I had a lot of fun doing these kumamushi-san cookies and I’m thinking maybe I’ll try some more fun themed baked goods! Let me know if you have a character-themed baked good that you would like me to do!
Hugs and puppies!